I myself have tried out the keto diet and it can be pretty tasty if you know what to eat! Here are some of my top 5 go-to favorite recipes that I turn to when I want something delicious to fill me up for dinner!
1. Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Delight:
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 24 oz marinara sauce or tomato sauce of choice
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds and membranes.
- Place squash halves in baking dish. Bake for 50-60 minutes until just tender. Cool for 10 minutes, then shred squash with a fork.
- Cook beef in skillet over medium heat until browned (7-10 mins). Drain excess grease, add marinara sauce, simmer 2-3 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix ricotta with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, parmesan, and 1 cup mozzarella.
- Pour half of marinara sauce over squash, mix. Spread ricotta mixture, then remaining sauce. Top with ½ cup mozzarella.
- Bake 10-20 minutes until cheese melts and browns. Optionally, broil on high for 2-3 minutes for more browning.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.
2. Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole:
- 6 cups shredded cooked chicken (from about 2 lb chicken)
- 6 oz ham cut into bite size pieces
- 4 oz butter melted
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine (optional)
- 1 oz lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 oz swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350. Put the chicken in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Layer the pieces of ham on top.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer combine the melted butter, softened cream cheese, white wine (if using), mustard, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until a thick sauce forms. Spread this sauce over the chicken and ham in the baking dish.
- Lay the slices of swiss cheese on top of the sauce. Bake for 30-40 minutes until hot.
- I broiled it for 2 minutes at the end so the cheese would get more golden and bubbly. If you decided to do that do not leave it unattended. It's very easy to burn the cheese topping.
3. Keto Taco Skillet
- 1 cup diced bell peppers, (any color)
- 3/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (preferably make your own)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- optional toppings: guacamole, sour cream, etc.
- In large non-stick skillet, cook beef, bell peppers, and yellow onion over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until meat is thoroughly cooked and veggies are tender; drain. Stir in water and taco seasoning mix; heat to boiling. Cook until water is absorbed.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until liquid is gone. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on and let it melt by covering with a lid. Top with desired toppings and eat.
Eat on some shredded lettuce or by itself!
4. Creamy Keto Tuscan Chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thin cut)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1.2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated + 1/4 cup for garnishing (optional)
- 1/3 cup Gouda cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup grape tomatoes. halved
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- Season chicken with Italian seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil.
- When the skillet gets nice and hot, add your chicken and sear on both sides until brown. Put a lid on the top to help the chicken cook. Don't overcook the chicken. The internal temperature should reach 165°F. (Use a thermometer to help.) Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add butter, garlic, onion, and diced tomatoes to pan with Italian seasoning and paprika sauce for 5 minutes stirring occasionally on medium/ low heat.
- De-glaze pan with chicken broth. Scrape the pan to remove the bits that might have stuck to the bottom. Make sure to keep them in the pan as they add incredible flavor.
- Add heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, Gouda, and spinach and simmer on medium heat until the sauce begins to thicken stirring occasionally so that it doesn't stick. (It took mine approx seven minutes.)
- Add the chicken back to the skillet, and simmer on low heat for two minutes.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese on top of chicken if desired.
I eat this with cooked riced cauliflower or zoodles! YUM!
5. Cheesy Cheesburger Casserole:
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 2 tsp coarse kosher salt not fine salt
- ¼ cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- olive oil spray for the baking dish
- ¼ cup unsweetened ketchup
- 1 medium onion finely chopped (about 6 oz)
- 1 ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar divided (about 6 oz)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Then spray a 2-quart baking-dish with olive oil.
- Heat the olive oil in a large-skillet over medium-high-heat for2 minutes. Then add onions and beef.
- Cook, stirring to break up the beef, till the beef is browned and the onion is tender for 5 minutes. When there are fluids in the bottom of the skillet, then drain the mix and then return it to the skillet.
- Stir in the black pepper, garlic and kosher salt. Cook, stirring for a few minute.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in the unsweetened ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard and 1 cup cheddar.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking-dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through, for 15 minutes.
- Or, if your baking-dish is broiler-safe, broil the casserole 6-inches below the heating element (not straight under ) till cheese is melted, for 1-2 minutes.
The Keto diet is an excellent way to lose weight and pairs well with the Trim and Tone belt, talk to your doctor if this diet is right for you!